lichess.org
Donate

What online chess opening explorers you use?

I use a Hiarcs opening book (slightly outdated) along with chessbase lite. I also have a collection of 2500+ rated games sorted by opening. I prefer going through the 2500 games without an engine on, try to guess the next move and that way i can review my variations with an engine after to see where I go wrong. I've gained almost 300 rating points on here doing that for the past 3 months (maybe once a week).
Here is a gotcha of Scid (tested with v 4.6.2):

Sometimes compacting a database afterwards gives a weird message 'Error opening database'. In that case close Scid, navigate to the directory where the database files are located. Here you should find three new files (*.sg4, *.si4 and *.sn4) with a __COMPACT__ suffix. These are the compacted files. Delete (or back up) the three original files and then remove the __COMPACT__ suffix from the three new files.

This is normally done by Scid automatically but for some reasons sometimes it does not work. Guess this is because Scid can not delete the original files/rename the new files because Windows has created a lock on them.

Luckily compacting a database is not so common so it just disturbs a bit.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.